RV Coverage Mistakes To Avoid

The biggest insurance mistake an RV owner can make is to take the path of least resistance… To call their auto agent and ask that their RV be added to an existing policy instead of getting the right RV coverage from the beginning.

Now I’m sure your agent is a great person, and I have no doubt you have a blue-ribbon insurance company for your autos. But insuring your RV or travel trailer with an auto carrier can leave many gaps in coverage. Not to mention the hassles you might encounter when you have a complicated claim. Does your auto adjuster – an individual who’s an expert on bumpers and fenders – know what to do with plumbing, expensive graphics and fiberglass or a damaged generator?

Here are a couple questions for you to ponder:

  • Will your auto carrier pay for your increased living expenses if you’re in an accident while on vacation?
  • Can your auto carrier pay unlimited expenses to get your rig to a qualified repair facility?
  • Lastly, will your auto carrier pay to replace items stolen from your RV?

If the answer to any of these is ‘no’, read on…

Where can you get the right specialized RV coverage?

A specialized policy through an agent and agency that specifically writes policies for motorhomes and trailers provides protection that can include RV coverage you’ve never thought of. What’s more, a specialist agent can provide coverage for just about any type of usage, such as full-timer coverage and coverage for those who rent out their units to make extra money on the side.

The right policy can cover many different types of vehicles, including:

  • Class A – Bus-type Motorhomes
  • Class B – Van-type Motorhomes
  • Class C – Cab-over Type Motor Homes
  • Travel Trailers, including Conventional and 5th-wheel
  • Pop-up Campers and Truck Mounted Campers

There are many differences between RV insurance and typical auto insurance. When you buy RV insurance from a specialist agent, you will be asked simple questions about you, your RV, and how often you use it. You’ll then be provided with a package of coverages that will likely surprise you in terms of their breadth and depth.

RV fire

On the road things can happen suddenly, make sure you have the right coverage to protect your investment. 

What does RV-Specific insurance cover?

If you’re using your unit as a true recreational vehicle on an occasional basis, your premium may be much lower than someone who lives in the RV full-time. Something of note… If your RV is a travel trailer towed by another vehicle, liability will extend from your auto policy – Your travel trailer is not a motorized vehicle, therefore you will not need the typical liability insurance which comes with motorized vehicles.

Here are the basic RV coverages provided

  • Physical Damage Coverage: Comprehensive and Collision coverage.
  • Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability: For motor homes. Travel trailers do not require liability.
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Property Damage and Bodily Injury:
  • Medical Payments

But those are just the basics.

Accidents can happen at the most inconvenient time or place. Having the right RV coverage can make your situation a little less stressful. 

Check it out… You won’t find these on a typical auto policy.

  • Total Loss Replacement: (New Units) Buys you a brand new unit if yours is destroyed during the first five years. Now that’s protection from depreciation! No typical auto insurance company is going to offer that.
  • Agreed Value Coverage: (Used Units) Protects the value of your rig from depreciation. In the event of a total loss you’ll get no less than the stated value on your policy contract.
  • Unlimited Towing and Roadside Assistance: Can you imagine the towing bill you’d encounter if you had to be towed 80 miles to a qualified repair facility? And what if your rig had to be loaded onto a flatbed… Wow! Our companies will pay unlimited expenses to get your rig to a qualified repair facility.
  • Emergency Expense Coverage: Pays for increased living expenses if you’re involved in a covered mishap more than 50 miles from home. Your hotel stays, increased food expenses, rental car will all be reimbursed up to the limits you chose up front.
  • Personal Belongings Replacement:Pays to replace the valuable items you keep in your motorhome or trailer, and those items you take with you on vacation. You can choose to insure up to $100,000 worth of your personal items.
  • Full-Timer Coverage: Here’s how to think about this one… It’s a homeowner’s policy that travels with you when living in your RV full time. There are enhanced liability limits and extended Emergency Expense limits you can choose. If you live in your rig full time your auto carrier may deny coverage in the event of a claim. Be sure to insure yourself properly.
  • RV Roof Protection Plus: (Not available with all companies.) Typically, the roof of your RV is not protected from normal wear, only from events that are sudden and accidental. With Progressive you can choose this additional coverage.
  • Pest Protection: (Not available with all company companies.) Protects you from damage by rodents and pests. I wonder why they like to chew on wires… Don’t you?

Keep in mind that RV’ers are generally divided into two categories: Recreational and Full-timer’s.

If you don’t live in your RV full-time, RV insurance will cover your RV both inside and outside when you’re vacationing on the road or parked at a campsite. A full-time RV insurance policy is for those individuals who use their unit as a primary residence. You’ll have many of the same coverages, but some enhanced ones as well. You’ll have the opportunity to raise certain levels of coverage, including your personal effects coverage, and your liability coverage.

Many of the coverages will match up with a recreational policy, but you’ll be able to add coverages similar to homeowners insurance, such as personal liability and loss assessment.

How do I find the right RV Coverage agent and agency?

American Adventure Insurance and its owner have been insuring RV owners and new buyers for three decades now. American Adventure maintains relationships with all the major national insurance carriers who offer a specialized RV product. American Adventure’s licensed experts will ask you a few questions and then research all companies to find the best combination of rate and coverage. You’ll be offered a package of coverages that ensures your peace of mind while on the road. www.AmericanAdventureInsurance.com  Toll-Free: 888-930-3680

About Kevin Tadlock, President

Kevin Tadlock is President of National Vehicle in Omaha, NE. He is an avid outdoorsman and spends all the time he can with his wife and two daughters experiencing nature. His goals include raising a happy and healthy family, having a positive impact for those around him, and treating every day like a new opportunity. He loves RVs and has enjoyed spending the last 16+ years with a company that connects buyers and sellers throughout the country.