The weather is starting to warm up, and that means people are beginning to plan their spring camping trips. If you’re thinking of selling an RV, this is the time of year to do it. Not only that, but with the RV market as hot as it is right now, this is also the right year to sell.
The question is, how do you go about selling your RV?
There are a few different ways to sell an RV. While it’s great to have options, having those choices can also make things a bit overwhelming and leave people wondering, “What is the best way to sell my RV?”
Fortunately, we’re here to answer that question for you so you can sell quickly, get as much as possible out of it, and move on to your new rig or new hobbies.
The Three Ways to Sell an RV
First, let’s discuss the various ways to sell an RV. There are three main options to consider when it comes to deciding the best way to sell an RV:
- Trading the RV
- Selling through consignment
- Selling an RV privately
While any of these methods will work, they do each have their pros and cons, and we think one of them wins out over the others by a pretty big margin.
Pros and Cons of Trading an RV
Let’s say you’re just wanting a different RV, or you’re shopping for a new vehicle of some sort. In this case, it might seem logical to take the RV in to the dealership and trade it for what you want. In some cases, this might be the best course of action, but there are some things you should take into consideration.
The pros of trading your RV in are:
- Gets the RV off your hands quickly.
- Possibly removes the need for a down payment on a new rig or vehicle.
- Avoids any repair work that might need to be done.
The con of trading your RV is a big one:
- You will not get what the RV is worth. In fact, you’ll probably get 25%–30% less than the actual value.
Pros and Cons of Consignment Sales
What about selling through a consignment company? This can also be a good option in some cases, and might be the best bet for you. That said, there are some drawbacks to this type of sale.
Here’s what you need to know before you jump into a consignment sale.
The benefits of selling through consignment are pretty obvious. They include the following:
- Your RV will be marketed for you.
- Most consignment companies store the RV on their lot, meaning you won’t be paying for storage until the rig sells.
The cons of consignment sales? These are less fun to talk about, but should be discussed nonetheless. They include:
- Less profit, as the consignment company will take about 10% of the sale.
- These RVs often take a while to sell, as the company has little motivation to get them off the lot.
Pros and Cons of Selling an RV Privately
The last option is to sell your RV privately. Selling privately comes with a number of big benefits. That said, it does have some drawbacks. Fortunately, some of these can be addressed through the use of the services offered by National Vehicle.
The pros of selling your RV privately are as follows:
- Private sales will give you the biggest profit.
- Having control over when the sale happens; i.e. you can push for a quick sale if you want, and you can pull the RV off the market whenever you see fit.
- You can use (and even improve) your RV up until the day it sells.
- You can use National Vehicle to make the whole process hassle-free.
- You will have to find ways to market the RV yourself, something that can be solved by using the services of National Vehicle.
- You may need to store the RV until it sells, but you will almost certainly make back the cost of storage in the bigger profit made by selling privately.
The Best Way to Sell an RV
So what is the best way to sell an RV? In our opinion, private RV sales are the way to go. The benefits of this type of sale far outweigh the drawbacks, and with the help of National Vehicle, the cons become even fewer.
Ready to sell your RV privately? Be sure to use our valuation tool to see what your rig is worth, and send us a message to get the sale process started today!